|Provided By||Patrick Montgomery|
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
- 16oz Cavatappi Pasta
- 1 lb
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 4 TBSP Flour
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs
- Your Favorite BBQ Rub
- 8oz Pepper Jack Cheese
- 8oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 TBSP Corn Starch
- Salt to taste
- Optional- 5 strips
- Optional- 1 Red Onion
1. Heat Dutch oven on stove to medium-high and put water on in pot on stove to boil. Separately, heat a pan for the bacon. (optional)
2. Pre-heat smoker or oven to 350 degrees F
3. Mix pepper jack and cheddar cheese with corn starch (this should help with stringy cheese when melted).
4. Mix pepper jack and cheddar cheese with corn starch (this should help with stringy cheese when melted).
5. Put cavatappi pasta into boiling pot with salt (cook to El Dente – 8 – 10 minutes).
6. Place Wagyu chorizo into Dutch oven to brown (Do not drain fat). While chorizo is browning, add your bacon to separate pan to cook until done (pull bacon and set to the side).
7. Once chorizo is approaching done, add red onion to caramelize and garlic (3 – 4 minutes).
8. Slowly mix flour into meat and onion mixture.
9. Once flour is worked in, slowly add milk while stirring rapidly.
10. Allow milk to heat for a few minutes, then start to add cheese while still stirring constantly.
11. Continue stirring while cheese melts and mixes with everything else. Once the milk begins to turn yellow from cheese, slowly add el dente pasta and continue mixing.
12. Once thoroughly mixed, spoon out mixture into 8” x 10” backing dish.
13. Mix 1 cup breadcrumbs to ½ cup BBQ seasoning (I chose a Cajun seasoning with a hint of lime to pair with the Chorizo). Add bacon crumbles and parmesan cheese to this mix as well.
14. Cover top of Mac and Cheese with this mixture.
15. Place baking dish in oven/smoker for 30 – 45 minutes (looking for the bread crumbs to turn brown, not black).